One easy way to cut down on the waste heading to landfill is to invest in a waste or garbage disposal unit.
Our best garbage disposals list can quickly help you find the right tool to cut down on waste from your family’s kitchen.
InSinkErator Pro Series
If you generate a lot of kitchen waste because you’ve got a big family – this is the best waste disposal going.
InSinkErator Evolution Excel
TOP RATED CHOICE
A very good product with a 7-year warranty and a great brand name backing it up.
Moen HP Continuous Feed Host Series
BEST VALUE CHOICE
An affordable product from a major household name brand, great stuff.
Best Garbage Disposals
InSinkErator PRO1100XL Pro Series 1.1 HP Food Waste Garbage Disposal with Evolution Series Technology
You get what you pay for and this is probably the most powerful waste disposal unit on the market.
It’s also incredibly quiet for a machine that really can grind and cut through pretty much anything you can chuck down it.
We really liked that it has an auto-reverse feature if a jam occurs as this can make clearing it out so much easier.
Quick Fact: There is a 12-year warranty on this garbage disposal unit and it’s for full in-home service! That’s a real deal maker for us and makes the investment in this unit far less risky.
1. The 12-year warranty is absolutely incredible
2. It’s so quiet that you won’t be able to believe it the first time you try it
3. It grinds to a very fine level
1. You have to buy the power cord separately – this is pretty silly
2. The collar can be a bit of a struggle to place onto the unit
3. Might be too quiet if you get easily distracted
InSinkErator Garbage Disposal, Evolution Excel, 1.0 HP Continuous Feed
This is a high-end model but somewhat less expensive than it’s bigger brother.
However, that also means a reduction in warranty time from 12 years to a more reasonable 7.
We found it to be a strong grind and it won’t baulk at very much in the way of food waste.
It’s also a quiet model but not quite as quiet as the Pro series model.
Quick Fact: The Sound Seal Technology on this model doesn’t just insulate the sounds but also uses a vibration-damping technique to reduce the level of noise generated by it.
1. Also has an unjamming facility which is great
2. Handles nearly all food waste with aplomb
3. It’s very strong
1. It doesn’t have much in the way of suction – you need to feed this model
2. Still no power cord included – it really should be
3. Some users report rusting after several years of use
Moen GXS75C Host Series 3/4 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal
The Moen line is well respected in the world of kitchen fixtures and this is as well made a product as any in their range.
It’s one of their first garbage disposal units but we suspect it won’t be the last.
The motor is incredibly fast which should prevent it from jamming with any food waste but it might struggle to handle animal bones.
Quick Fact: The warranty on this model is an impressive 10-year in-home deal and given the low price of this model, it’s a big selling point.
1. Very powerful motor for grinding scraps
2. Can be used with an appropriately sized septic tank
3. Easy to swap out for an existing garbage disposal
1. The SoundSHIELD technology isn’t that effective at keeping the noise down
2. Can’t handle animal bones
3. The reset button could be more accessible
InSinkErator Garbage Disposal + Air Switch + Cord, Evolution Essential XTR, 3/4 HP Continuous Feed
Another excellent model from InSinkErator who are, by far, the go-to brand of the garbage disposal world at the moment.
This isn’t quite as powerful as the other two models but it is a little cheaper than those too.
It uses a 2-stage multi-grind process rather than 3 to reduce food waste to tiny particles.
Quick Fact: This product uses a LeakGuard Liner to ensure that no matter what happens inside your waste disposal unit, the waste will stay inside it in the event of a breakdown.
1. Strong motor
2. A decent 6-year warranty
3. Very quiet
1. A little expensive for what it is
2. Doesn’t drain as well as we’d like
3. Not rated for use in Canada
Waste King Legend Series 1 HP Continuous Feed Garbage Disposal with Power Cord
A great value buy if your budget is limited.
This is still a relatively quiet and strong model that can handle most food types (though not animal bones).
The biggest drawback that we can think of is the lack of an unjamming option which means that if something gets stuck, you may need a plumber to come out and unjam it for you.
Quick Fact: Waste King offers the longest possible warranty on their products and that’s a “lifetime warranty”. And yes, this is an in-home warranty.
1. Lifetime warranty is a big deal
2. It’s very affordable
3. The motor is surprisingly strong for the price
1. Cheaply made and the plastic can be easily damaged
2. There’s no option to unjam this from outside
3. Drainage from the unit is not the best
BECBAS ELEMENT 7 Garbage Disposal
Our final option is from BECBAS a slightly less well-known brand.
It comes with a super powerful 2,700 RPM motor which ought to handle pretty much anything that you can throw at it.
We’re also pleased to note that a power cord comes in the box.
Quick Fact: The high-speed magnet in the motor is meant to lessen the chance of the unit jamming while in operation.
1. Can handle most kitchen scraps
2. Has a power cord pre-installed
3. Comes with accessories
1. Only a 4-year warranty
2. Very tricky to install
3. Cheaply made
Another great way to reduce your overall waste in your home is to only shop at zero waste stores. Check out our top picks here.