When it comes to cheese in general we like to think we’re experts. We currently track over 1500 specialty cheeses from over 85 countries so if you need the lowdown on a specific cheese we’ve got you covered. It’s geeky. And a bit cheesy. But we love our cheese here at Kitchen Authority.
The Grilled Cheese Game
If you’ve got any grilled cheese game at all your repertoire extends well beyond cheddar. I have a personal database of close to 100 cheeses I’ve tried one or more times in a grilled cheese.
For the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich you want a cheese with some zing and a certain measured intensity.
Most important is achieving the perfect “melt” to suit your preference. I prefer that a tiny bit of cheese drizzles out from between my slices of bread and caramelizes to a crunch on the edge of the sandwich.
In a very informal poll we asked over 100 people over the course of a weekend at our local farmers market what their favorite cheeses were for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. So, without further ado here are our…
Top 10 Cheeses for Grilled Cheese Sandwiches 2019 Poll Results
- Kraft Singles It’s surprising how emotional people can get about a Kraft single between two slices of white Wonderbread. This classic preparation of the grilled cheese sandwich evokes powerful memories for many people.
- Cheddar Cheddar is the go-to cheese for cheese sandwiches. It’s got some bite and the melt is perfect.
- Mozzarella This one doesn’t excite me as it’s not one of my personal favorites. Meh.
- Provolone Liven up your grilled sandwich with an Italian classic. This cheese works best in combinations that take it well beyond a Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Add a schmear of marinara sauce from the Tupperware in the fridge and some all-beef salami you’ve got some kind of Grilled Pizza meets Hoagie frankenwich. Or add some thinly sliced tomatoes and some finely chopped dill to make a nice light summer grilled sandwich.
- Colby Colby is a good base-cheese if you’re looking to do a multi-cheese sandwich. Paired with Swiss or Monterey Jack, Colby cheese will never steer you wrong.
- Swiss A grilled cheese with Swiss on rye bread is sublime.
- Monterey Jack I love me some Monterey Jack on some russian rye bread. With a half-sour pickle.
- Blue Cheese It’s hard to find a list of cheeses that doesn’t include Blue Cheese. An acquired taste for some on a grilled cheese.
- Camembert This is one that can take a grilled cheese sandwich to another realm. Experiment with pairings and be pleasantly surprised.
- Curds This is an interesting option. Paired with a brown dipping sauce you’ve got a Poutinwich!
Ready to take your grilled cheese game to the next level? If you’re looking for additional inspiration, check out the Taste of Home collection of grilled cheese sandwich recipes.
If you want to take your sandwich making game to a higher level you need to read The Complete Kitchen Authority Guide to Sandwich Makers.