Our search for the best vegetable steamer was a very tasty and healthy experience. We went through a ton of vegetables and didn’t meet one we didn’t like.
Steaming vegetables (and, indeed, meat and fish) is a great way to cook food without losing any of the nutrients.
So using a vegetable steamer is super-healthy! Steamed vegetables are part of almost every meal at Kitchen Authority.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, “Eating vegetables provides health benefits – people who eat more vegetables and fruits as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases. Vegetables provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body.“
That means everyone should buy a vegetable steamer so that they can reap the benefits. Even better news is that a vegetable steamer will not cost you a fortune!
What Budget Should I Have For A Vegetable Steamer?
If you’re spending more than $50, you’ve got to be the world’s most committed steamer of vegetables.
Though, if you throw in a little more money, you can add additional features such as a timer, extra compartments, and other control options.
Why Everyone Should Buy A Vegetable Steamer
If you’re going to buy a vegetable steamer then you ought to know the benefits you’re going to get from your investment. You want to buy the best vegetable steamer and not just any vegetable steamer.
- Better nutrition. When you boil things, the nutrients of the food end up leaking into the water and if you’re not going to drink that water (and why would you?) then you’re going to pour the best nutritional elements down the sink. Steaming means that you get to keep the nutrients.
- Flexibility. The device may be called a “vegetable steamer” but there’s no reason that you can’t cook meat or fish in them. Heck, we also occasionally do hard-boiled eggs in ours. They’re also one of the best tools for cooking rice in if you don’t own a separate rice cooker.
- Total convenience. It’s easy to fit up to 9 liters of food in your vegetable steamer and that means you ought to easily feed a whole family. When you’re making even more food – your steamer can be put into action without taking up stovetop space.
Downsides To Consider When Choosing The Best Vegetable Steamer?
It’s also fair to say that there are common downsides to the use of a vegetable steamer in your kitchen and these include:
- Food can taste bland. Yes, all the recipe books says “don’t use seasoning”, but we don’t understand why. You really need to add herbs and spices to food when you steam it or it really loses all of its flavor. We’d also say that some foods can look a little unattractive after steaming and you might want to put a sauce on top once they’ve been cooked.
- Cooking can be slow. Steaming carrots takes much longer than boiling or microwaving does. We’ve found that buying a steamer with a timer on it can help you with this by starting the food cooking remotely before you descend on the kitchen of an evening.
- Cleaning can be a pain. Holes and perforations need thorough cleaning or you get trapped food and trapped food means bacteria. So, you need to make sure your chosen vegetable steamer is easy to clean.
What Are The Features To Consider When Buying A Vegetable Steamer?
Make sure to take these 6 critical factors into account before you buy your family a vegetable steamer as the answers to these questions will impact your buying decisions.
What Are The Basket Sizes?
Equal sizes means you can stack them in any order. Variable sizes require precise stacking but tend to pack away in a smaller space.
Does It Have A Rice Bowl?
If there’s a rice bowl included, you can make great rice. Love this!
Does It Have Egg Supports?
Cooking eggs in a steamer is much easier if you have egg supports. Great feature!
Does It Have A Water Gauge?
This is very handy to stop you from running out of water while steaming. Must have!
Does It Have A Timer?
Timing your food means you get an easy way to ensure that it’s cooked perfectly. Essential!
Does It Have Stay warm functionality
Keeps the food warm after it’s been cooked for an hour or two. Very handy!
Best Vegetable Steamer Overall| The Secura 2-Tier Stainless Steel Food Steamer
Our top pick is a very reasonably priced option given that it’s huge and can cater easily for a family.
It has a built in timer which ensures that you’re never going to over cook your vegetables or other food.
We also like the fact that it comes with “boil dry protection” which ensures that if it runs out of water when you’re not paying attention – it switches off rather than burn your food.
The digital controls are incredibly easy to use and we preferred them to the analog version of the product.
It was one of the easiest products to clean in our test and we recommend following the manufacturer’s care instructions to keep it free of mineral build up.
This is an extremely robust vegetable steamer which is going to last you and your family a long time. We thoroughly recommend it for day-to-day use.
You can check out the latest data on the Secura 2-Tier Stainless Steel Food Steamer on Amazon.
Best Vegetable Steamer Runner-Up
We also recommend checking out the Oster Double Tiered Food Steamer on Amazon as while it’s not as well made as our winner, it’s incredible value for money if you’re on a tight budget.
At such a low-price we especially like the double-tiered design as it allows us to cook two types of food simulataneously. The more the merrier!
We also the simplicity and ease of use when it comes to the timer. Timing is everything with most vegetables and if you get it wrong you’ll end up with mushy peas or undercooked carrots.
Searching for ideas and recipes for your new vegetable steamer? Check out our 25 Best Cookbooks of all Time article for some great suggestions. Enjoy!